Turning on roller skates is a skill that will take some time to learn, and many people find it difficult at first. If you’re facing the same problem and searching for how to turn on roller skates, this is the right article for you.
This article will show you a few steps that can help you turn on roller skates a little better, even as a beginner. So let’s get started.
How To Turn On Roller Skates
The key to turning on roller skates is to keep yourself in balance. The following steps will help you get started:
1. Make Yourself Balanced On Roller Skates
The most important thing is that matters in skating is your balance. If you have a good physic and a well-maintained body, you feel easy to skate and turn the board.
Therefore, if you intend to skate seriously, you should keep yourself physically fit to make skating easier.
Also, note that you must be standing on the roller skates with equal pressure on both legs while skating. This will make you more stable and allow you to turn more quickly.
2. Adjusting The Skates
It’s been seen several times that the rider puts his effort into turning correctly, yet the skate won’t turn correctly due to the problem in the skate.
Hence, make sure the heel of your foot is lined up properly with the back of the skates. You should also tighten the laces so that they are snug enough to keep your feet from sliding out but loose enough that you can freely move your toes.
3. Getting A Grip On The Floor
The next step is to get a grip on the floor with your skates. You will be pushed from your heels to your toes as the wheels grip the floor by turning the skates in opposite directions. Additionally, this will give you a good feel for the kind of control you have over the skates.
4. The Curb Method For Turning
The curb method of turning can be a bit difficult to do at first, so it may help if you have somebody nearby to hold on to as you practice. In order to accomplish this, simply skate forward as you normally would, but as soon as you reach the edge of a curb or ledge, perform an inside or outside edge.
5. The Rail Method
Another good way to turn is with a railing of some sort. Simply skate up to a railing and push off from it with one foot while skating around the other side of it. Remember, this will not work on every railing.
6. The Toe Pick Method
Learning to turn this way is probably the most challenging. In order to do this, skate forward and use your toe pick (the metal spike on the front of your skates) to dig into the ice. Then, sweep your hockey stick over your other foot and push off with it. This will cause you to turn.
In this article, we have only shown different methods of turning on roller skates by describing different approaches. It is meant as a guide for beginners who want to learn how to turn on roller skates. To actually learn turning on roller skates, practice it yourself following the given steps, and watch others while turning.
Tips To Turn Better On Roller Skates
It is common for beginners to make mistakes that cause them to be unable to turn correctly. Here’s what they do:
- As mentioned previously, make sure your skates are not too loose or tight so that your toes can move freely.
- Keep your weight evenly distributed between both feet when skating. By putting pressure on only one leg, the foot will naturally turn towards the left side and vice versa.
- As you are skating around the rink, keep your center of gravity low and stable. Maintain an upright posture to reduce drag when turning.
- To turn the skate, you must use your toes, not your ankles. Rotating your ankles too much while turning will slow you down.
- Never lean forward when you’re about to turn or stop. You’ll have better balance and control if you keep your body still and upright. If you want to learn how to stop roller skates check our latest article.
- Push off the ice with one foot to turn the skates while keeping your knees bent. Try not to lean too far forward.
- Always wear protective gear when skating, including helmets and kneepads. Since you are a beginner, the chances of falling while turning are higher.
- For better balance, bend your knees slightly and keep your body relaxed while skating.
How do you turn on a roller skate for beginners?
Before putting on your roller skates, it is important to ensure that they are properly adjusted for your feet. Once you have your skates on, you will need to tighten the laces, so they are snug against your feet. Once you have done this, you can start skating by pushing off with your foot.
How do you practice turns on roller skates?
To practice turns on roller skates, you will need to start by skating in a straight line. Once you are comfortable with this, you can start to turn by using your body weight to shift your weight from one foot to the other.
Why are my roller skates not turning?
If your roller skates are not turning, it is likely because they are not correctly adjusted for your feet. Make sure that the laces are snug against your feet and that you are using your body weight to shift your weight from one foot to the other.
Being a beginner you may also like checking out the difference between roller skates and rollerblades.
I hope you were able to learn how to turn on roller skates for beginners. Our goal was to make learning how to turn simpler by showing different methods.
To make turning easier on roller skates, you should test all the ways and stick with the one that suits your riding style.
I am Mary, the founder of skatesidea.com. Skating (Roller skates, Inline skates, Rollerblades) is my passion, and I have years of teaching experience in this field. Our vision and mission is to provide you with accurate information on everything related to skates.